Author Topic: Inheriting Eating Habits That Cause Obesity  (Read 6795 times)

mitchelle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Inheriting Eating Habits That Cause Obesity
« on: October 29, 2018, 03:42:26 PM »

The eating habits that people have can often be inherited from one generation to another.

The fat adult who lived with rich foods as a child has the subconscious idea that he is “stepping down” from his position of luxury if he eats plainer food. If he can convince himself that this is not so, it will be easy enough for him to accept the foods that must be good for him, now.

I weighed less than five pounds when I was born. I was a scrawny, small baby, born in a Southern family that loved luxury. I was an only child. Immediately, the whole family—parents, grandparents and servants— then, in the South, a house full of servants didn't mean unusual opulence—had one object in mind—to fatten the baby. I grew fat. By the time I was a year old, I was round and chubby. And I stayed that way. Considering the family meals, it's a wonder any of us was able to waddle around, not alone walk. Curiously enough, my father stayed quite slender; my mother and grandmother were only a bit overweight—with nice, old-fashioned, high-stomached figures. I was the fat one! Because of my pre-birth hunger? Probably. But most likely because I had a large appetite—and ate huge meals. The only wonder was that I wasn't fat enough

for a side show. I'm less than 5 feet 2 inches, and when I went away to college I weighed nearly 150 pounds—a large, fat girl. I don't know, now, how I managed to have fun. But I did. I lost a little weight at college. The meals weren't so good and the gymnasium was. But I wasn't thin. It wasn't until a few years ago that I said to myself, “Face it!” and decided that the time had come to reduce. Then I got my weight under some sort of control. Now I weigh around no pounds—and I'm never going to weigh much more, if I can help it.

Those Arkansas meals! I can enjoy them now, in retrospect. Certainly, I can't eat meals like that, now. Nor can anyone I know.

Our breakfasts, in those days, consisted of a bit of fruit—no one cared a lot for fruit at meals, though. Fruit was something to nibble between meals. There was always a bowl of fruit on the sideboard, and a couple of big Arkansas apples, or two or three Arkansas peaches, were just an in-between-meals snack, not to be counted at all. The grown-ups had several cups of coffee each. My grandmother didn't take sugar in her coffee, I remember. Just cream. But she liked two or three cups of it. The rest of the family took cream and sugar. I was given an imitation of coffee, consisting of rich Arkansas milk—so yellow with cream it resembled the “light” cream of today—spiked a bit with coffee to give it color, and with cream and sugar to give it flavor. After the fruit, there were always ham and eggs or bacon and eggs—the eggs usually made into an omelet or scrambled with cream. This was served with hot

bread, usually biscuits or muffins, which were accompanied by country butter—“take two and butter 'em while they're hot”—and, of course, home-made preserves, usually two kinds. Hot breads were served three times a day in Arkansas. Once in a while, we could have very fresh, very warm “light bread”—but if you had light bread too often, you were put down as “Poor White,” or worse, “Northerners,” who, of course, couldn't know any better. That, with a bit of cottage cheese, rich with cream, was all we ever had for breakfast, week-days. On Sundays, of course, breakfasts were a bit heavier. Then, besides the other things, there were always pancakes or waffles—usually waffles—to be smothered in butter, so that every little indentation was “full up,” and then covered all over with maple syrup, which ran off the waffle onto the plate. These were always accompanied by little sausages in Winter—crisp and brown—and by curls of bacon, when the weather grew too warm for sausages

Reasons For Obesity

Started by mitchelle

Replies: 0
Views: 6968
Last post October 29, 2018, 03:45:01 PM
by mitchelle